Usually, floors are not the first thing you think about when you decide to add to your décor, unless your flooring desperately needs replaced. But area rugs are a great addition to any space. Here are seven reasons why your home needs an area rug, from the experts at Unusual Designs.
1. Adds warmth and coziness – Hardwood and tile flooring are durable and easy to keep clean, but neither one is very comfortable to sit or walk on. Adding an area rug, especially with a quality pad underneath, can make your floor warmer and softer to sit or stand on.
2. Dampens noise – if you have a large room without many soft materials like drapery or upholstered furniture, sounds can be elevated and echo throughout the room. An area rug absorbs noise and improves the acoustics of your space.
3. Creates a cohesive space – Placing an area rug between pieces of furniture helps to solidify the seating area and makes it more cohesive. The area rug can be placed completely under the furniture, under just the front legs, or even just in front of the furniture, depending on the look you desire.
4. Hides unattractive flooring – If replacing the flooring in your room is not in the budget, area rugs are an inexpensive way to cover it up. If your wall-to-wall carpeting is stained or your hardwood floor is damaged, you can strategically place a rug or two to cover up the trouble spots. Dated vinyl flooring or boring builder’s carpeting can also be camouflaged with larger area rugs until they can be replaced.
5. May control allergens – For years we have been told that carpeting is not good for allergy sufferers because it traps and holds allergens. Recently, some researchers are changing their tune and saying carpeting may actually be beneficial because the allergens are trapped in one place instead of floating free in the air and being inhaled. Area rugs may be the perfect solution because the allergens get caught in the rugs, which can then be taken to be thoroughly cleaned by professionals.
6. Add interest to a room – If your room is lacking in interest, you may not want to invest in furniture with a lot of pattern or paint your walls a bright color. Including an area rug in your space can add color and pattern more cost-effectively than in other ways. Freshen up your neutral room with a colorful rug or give an otherwise- static room some movement with a patterned rug.
7. You can take it with you – Unlike wall-to-wall flooring or most window treatments that can’t be moved to another home, area rugs are extremely portable and can move as often as you do.
Whatever your reason might be for wanting an area rug or two, the interior designers at Unusual Designs in Newport News, Virginia can help you find the perfect one for your home in Williamsburg, Suffolk, Gloucester, Yorktown, Poquoson, or Portsmouth.